top of page

Consumer Units

We carry out installations and replacements of all consumer units

Our team of fully qualified and NICEIC approved electricians have the expertise and experience to carry out the install or replacement of your consumer unit.


To ensure the safety of your property it is important that your consumer unit is checked and upgraded when needed. Consumer units need to have a residual current device (RCD)  to detect dangerous electrical threats as well as tripping hazards. 

Why a new consumer unit may be needed 

There are various reasons a consumer unit may need to be replaced to ensure you properly remains safe, this includes:

  • Consumer units that are more than 10 years old may need replacing 

  • Existing consumer unit does not have an RCD component 

  • Upgrades from plastic to metal consumer units are considered to be safer option 


Checking your consumer unit 

We can check your consumer unit to ensure it meets the current wiring regulations and safety standards. 

Electricity Plugs

Frequently Asked Questions

Is a fuse box the same as a consumer unit?

A consumer unit is also the same as a fuse box; it is the heart of your home electrics. It distributed electricity from the mains supply to individual circuits around a property. 


Do I need a metal consumer unit?

1st January 2016 marked the implementation of the switch to metal clad consumer units for all new electrical installations and designs. Further information can be found here.


What is a RCD and why does my consumer unit need one? 

Residual Current Devices (RCDs) are the safety switches inside a consumer unit that constantly monitor the power supply. The entire power supply of a building or a factory is split into several circuits. When an RCD or a circuit breaker turns off, it is called tripped.


How much will it cost?

On average, consumer unit replacement cost (including all materials, labour and certification) can be between £375 and £550. This is assuming there is an ideal scenario with no additional problems that need fixing. It will take about half a day to install, including testing the unit.


What guarantee will I receive? 

All work carried out by Campbell electrical is covered under the NICEIC platinum guarantee.


Will I need to notify my local building control? 

All major work carried out to your property will need to be communicated to your local building control department. Campbell electrical will take care of this for you providing all the necessary certifications to all parties so you don’t have to worry.

“Fantastic work men. Professional, knowledgeable and completely trustworthy. Really pleased with all the jobs completed in our home and we have recommended them to others already.”

bottom of page